"TRY BEFORE YOU BUY" - for the new approach to a better website CLICK HERE

Wednesday 28 January 2015

Match of The Day - Christianity v Islam

 I have deep concern over the disproportionate media coverage of  UK Islamism.



Christianity is the world's largest religion.The UK is a Christian nation. The 2011 census shows that less than 3% of Brits are muslim - yet this small minority seem to get a greater amount of 'air and ink time' than can be considered reasonable and proportionate.

For example, virtually every time a muslim issue is reported on the news we are shown footage of muslins at prayer in some mosque or other - yet how often do we see the same with reports on our own religion? - even an article in the Guardian newspaper on this issue has a picture of hundreds of backsides as it's lead. see here:
I find this to be an extremely unhealthy and insidious situation.  ('insidious' - definition of:)

Yesterday I watched football on Sky TV and felt obliged to send the following complaints to Sky and the FA  I really would like to hear your views on all this.

...............................................................................................

email to Sky
hi,
I watched the Chelsea v Liverpool semi final match last night and as a devout Christian was quite appalled to see that just before kick off that the camera 'focused' in one of the Chelsea players praying.  When I say 'focused' I mean that your camera zoomed in and held the shot.

The UK is a Christian society, yet you seem to be promoting the faith held by less than 5% of the population.
You may ask if I am upset because you highlighted Islam and did not find a Christian to film to 'balance' things out - no - because religion has no place on a sports field.
I watch televised football as a fan, I am not interested in, and do not want, a players faith 'stuffed' down my throat in such a blatant way.

That guy was just one of 22 players, and there is a minute percentage of muslims playing professional football - as such he, and his faith, are not representative of  football in anyway.
Everyone has a right to his religion, but he could, and should, do that in the dressing room and not have been broadcast throughout the nation.

Sports broadcasters have stopped showing a stripper running onto the pitch anymore, it could offend someone and stops the stripper getting publicity.
Yet here we have the major sports broadcaster apparently promoting a particular religion. What next - Al Jazeera broadcasting Songs of Praise?

Why then did you highlighted that chap?  There can be no possible justification for your actions. I would expect a very swift reply to this complaint,  before I raise the matter with Ofcom, and my MP.
...................................................................


letter to the FA
Dear Sirs,
Below is a copy of an email I have just sent to Sky TV, and I put those questions to yourself also, as I believe this is a matter that you should address immediately.

Indeed your considerations should also take into account the many footballers who express their views and faiths on tee-shirts and are then are allowed to run around the field.

The 'praying issue' has been on my mind for some time now - one cannot watch a match involving Arsenal without being subjected to pre-match close ups of Mesut Ozil doing it.

This whole issue does highlight the double standards shown by the FA.
You penalise players of comments in 'tweets' etc whilst saying that footballers are role models and should behave impeccably. Yet you take no action against individuals or clubs who use football and TV to gain publicity for their own personal ends.

In any institution, whether a large one like football, or just at my golf club, "the tail cannot be allowed to wag the dog"  - Democracy and fair play is NOT about the views of the minority.
...................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do appreciate any comments whatsoever -
but please know now that whilst this blog was created so folks can 'let off a bit of steam'
that I shall delete anything I consider may be offensive to other visitors.